Stripey Dress - Butterick 6525

I love wearing stripey tops but I wasn't sure whether a stripey dress might be a step too far...


Too be honest the jury is still out but it was a fun make.


I rarely sew with knit fabric, I think this might only be the third project I've attempted, and never with stripes.  This is a bit strange given what my wardrobe looks like, Mr B has stopped trying to persuade me to buy non-striped or non-navy garments!


I'm going to admit now that I didn't try to do any stripe matching because a) the stripes aren't printed straight on my fabric b) there are too many points of intersection and c) life is too short.


The dress was quite satisfying to put together but I couldn't get my head round how the side inserts went in as I was cutting so this made grading between a small top and medium bottom a bit tricky.  Obviously as soon as I actually sewed them in it became clear.  I could have done with an extra inch or two about the hips.


I'm not convinced about the finish at the neck, the instructions say to just fold over the edge, I think some kind of facing or binding would have given a better finish.  I only did one set of stitching around the neck as I thought is matched the other stitching better.


I used a ball point needle and the lightning stitch on my machine which has given a reasonable finish, there's a lot of top-stitching involved in this make.


I've not got any pictures of me in the dress because the weather is too horrible, I'm wrapped up in a blanket instead!


Are there any fabrics or prints that you avoid sewing with?

Comments

  1. All that top stitching looks very neat.
    I avoid fine fabrics like the plague but I have some lovely chiffon in my stash that is calling my name, definitely time to step out of my comfort zone and have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - It’s really easy to not sew things because you think they are going to be too tricky but I’m beginning to realise it’s never as bad as I think it’s going to be!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts