Jewel top - adapting a vintage pattern

I bought this Maudella pattern from eBay after falling in love with the neckline of the blue dress.
I don't think a vintage sheath dress is ever going to work on my pear shaped figure so I resolved to transfer the neckline to a tunic top - enter Simplicity 2599 (I have used this pattern a lot)!
I don't have a massive fabric stash and a good portion of it consists of left overs from other projects, I'd kept this Libery Tana Lawn, which bares my name Alexandra, from this dress.  It was a bit of a funny shape but there was a good amount left.
I firstly used the front facing piece from the Maudella pattern to change the neckline on the Simplicity pattern, transferring the markings for the cut outs.  You can see below the front of the Simplicity pattern with the vintage facing piece overlaid on the left and my tracing on the right
Interestingly the facing for a vintage 34" bust (a modern 12) fit perfectly on the Simplicity size 6.  I repeated this on the back and pinned the traced pieces together to check they would match.
I managed to get everything cut out (just) - the Maudella pattern was missing the front strap piece so I used the facing piece to make sure the neckline was right and guessed at the width required.
I'm still keeping the scraps, I'm sure I'll find a use for them at some point.
I then followed the instructions for the Maudella pattern with the exception of using fusible interfacing rather than sew in and using a button and loop rather than a zip closure.
The instruction are concise but clear, I liked how the strap is fed through, you can see this below before I sewed it in place.
I realised part way through that the cut outs are quite similar to McCall's 7154 but the finish is much better with the Maudella method.
I'm pleased with the finished garment but what I really enjoyed was the process of making it - combining the vintage neckline with a top that would give me a more wearable garment and trying to get the pieces cut out of a remnant.
I adore the colours in this print, I could look at it for hours.  I've recently bought the same print in a different colour way but I think this one is my favourite.
Do you keep your scraps or get rid of them?  Any ideas for my remaining scraps of lawn - the biggest is about 6 inches square?

Comments

Popular Posts